Intellectual Property Litigator and Registered Patent Attorney with comprehensive Supreme Court, Federal & State Court Experience
Joe is a litigator and registered patent attorney with over 30 years of Intellectual Property experience in a wide scope of industries, including agriculture, apparel, automotive, food, fashion, consumer products, electronics, entertainment, manufacturing, media, music, retail, pharmaceutical, and software. He has litigated utility patents, method patents, design patents, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, software, trade secret, unfair competition, and e-commerce matters, related to technological applications, such as semiconductor structure, telecommunications, VOIP, electronic circuit design, electro-mechanical, mechanical, chemical, and optical devices.
Joe has served as lead counsel in numerous bench trials and hearings, over a dozen jury trials and seven International Trade Commission Investigations. He has represented clients before the United States Supreme Court and Federal District and Appellate Courts in nineteen U.S. states, and the District of Columbia. He has over 40 reported decisions, several of which are precedential, from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Joe’s practice also includes corporate counseling, contract negotiation, opinions in cooperative technical ventures, due diligence studies, licensing, trademark and patent prosecution, and representation of clients in matters before the USPTO, PTAB, ITC, and other governmental agencies.
In addition to founding his own firm in 1990, Joe also served as Counsel at Debevoise & Plimpton, Kirkland & Ellis, and Carter Ledyward & Milburn.
- The District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- The International Trade Commission
- United States District Court, Maryland
- United States District Court, District of Columbia
- United States District Court, ED, ND and SD Florida
- United States District Court, ED, ND, SD and WD Texas
- United States District Court, Alabama,
- United States District Court, SD Indiana
- United States District Court, Nebraska
- United States District Court, WD New York
- United States District Court, WD Wisconsin
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Court of Federal Claims
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- North Carolina State University, B.S., 1982
- Represented patent holder in infringement litigation over groundbreaking parallel microprocessor computer architecture. Obtained multi-million-dollar reasonable royalty settlement.
- Obtained $14M verdict for retired veteran/inventor of Night Vision Fusion technology in suit against Army and Department of Defense for infringement of night vision fusion patent.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in the enforcement of multiple formulation patents. Obtained multi-million-dollar royalties.
- Successfully enforced pharmaceutical patent on behalf of the manufacturer and obtained a $21M verdict.
- Represented UK owner of a patent on capacitive sense technology used in iPod, iBook, and Apple Mouse. Case settled with over $170M payment to the client.
- Represented plaintiff corporation with a 150+ patent portfolio in multiple litigations over a decade, in Federal District Courts and in the Court of Federal Claims. Obtained trial judgements totaling over $35M.
- Represented Plaintiff in asserting telecommunications patent against multiple infringers in a dozen separate litigations. Obtained jury/bench verdicts and settlements totaling over $17M in royalties.
- Represented a prolific inventor in his epic battle with the automotive industry over his intermittent windshield wiper technology, including the preparation of experts for deposition & trial testimony. Recovery following jury trials was over $50M.